Get practice and ask questions at a Mock Career Fair!
You’ll be able to sign up to meet with employers or career advisors to practice your “elevator pitch” introduction, ask questions about how to make the most of the fairs, and make sure you feel comfortable with the Handshake virtual fair platform in advance of the real thing.
Other individual prep events will be posted on Handshake and by each respected career center.
Virtual Career Fair Prep Workshop Recording
Learn how to navigate the virtual career fairs on Handshake, including how to register for fairs, sign up for sessions, and connect with employers. RSVP on Handshake at the links below.
Make sure to review Handshake’s technical requirements before the fairs.
Students can now sign up for sessions and participate in the fairs via your computer or the Handshake iOS and Android apps!
Note: Chrome/Firefox are the recommended browsers to use for fairs – you may have issues with Safari.
Fair Prep Resources
Handshake Guides to help you prepare for the Fairs:
- Quick How to Video on the Fairs
- Student Video Requirements
- Preparing for the Fair
- Student Experience Help Article
- Spring 2021 Updates from Handshake
Need to do a deeper dive into your career exploration? Meet with a Career Advisor before the Fairs ! Schedule a 1:1 appointment by clicking on the link below with your respected School or College:
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
Will students be able to submit their resumes to employers? Without joining sessions?
What if all sessions are full on the day of a Fair?
We will surface all employer session information to your office so you can remind employers to add sessions if they are looking full.
Will students' profiles need to be public to participate?
Depending on the type of session the student is signing up for they will need to update their profile to either the Employer or Community setting.
Will students be able to leave sessions they have signed up for?
Yes, students can leave sessions up until the time that it is scheduled. We will show them a warning if they are leaving a session within 48 hours.
Will students who live internationally be able to participate?
There are no restrictions by location, so as long as the student has logged into Handshake they will be able to participate.
Can a student see a history of their chat interactions?
Yes! Students will be able to see their previous sessions within the sessions tab.
Will students, employers and career staff have access to transcripts of the chats they had during the virtual fair?
Transcripts will not be provided for conversations held during the fair. Instead, there will be moderation options for students and employers to utilize during conversations.
Sample Questions to ask Employers
- What skills or traits do you look for in candidates?
- What is your company’s hiring timeline?
- What are some of the key responsibilities of this job/internship?
- What is a typical career path for someone coming in at my level?
- What kind of training program does your organization have? Formal/Informal? Short term/Long term?
- What is a day like in this position?
- What type of formal education is required for entry-level, mid-level, upper-level, positions?
- Do people filling this type of position work in a structured or non-structured environment?
- How is performance evaluated? How often?
- What degree of task variety would a person see in their first year?
- What opportunities did you take advantage of while you were in college to help you prepare for your job?
- How much client contact do you have?